Saturday, March 2, 2013

Fun facts - or just facts

- The sun peeks over the horizon at 06.25 in the morning


- Yesterday I was so lucky that I got to hike Mount Hanang with five other girls from UiA. Amazing trip!!




 - Henrik is in Moshi, and will be running Kilimanjaro marathon tomorrow! Wish him luck!

- A couple of weeks ago we visited one of our colleagues and her three month old baby boy


- Mountain Dew tastes better out of a glass bottle

- My two Dutch room mates left me last week... hope you're having a great safari!


- The gospel choirs need extra pratcise just to learn the dance moves for their songs


- There's been demonstrations in town the last two weeks because of a local teacher that nearly beat one of the children to death. 


- I was told that one of the patients in my ward was bitten by a group of people. And looking at the bandages on his head, arm and legs I was thinking "well that's kind of extreme!". But then I remembered that Tanzanians have a hard time differing between the words "bitten" and "beaten" in pronunciation. 

- Henrik and I only have two more weeks of work at the hospital, it's crazy! 



I'm going to miss my patients, but I'm not going to miss the frustration caused by the cultural work ethics! As Henrik tried to express on one of the posts earlier this week. (In my case also the cultural view upon women, very often it feels like I'm mistaken for whomever's assistent rather then a Physio student standing on her own feet) But it's all what you make of it.

- Shandell


1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful pictures! How nice that you were able to climb Mt. Hanang after all! Are you all healthy again?? Hope you all have a nice safari to :) Thanks for al the fun and the great time with you!

    xx

    Marieke

    ReplyDelete